[et_pb_section fb_built=”1″ fullwidth=”on” _builder_version=”4.4.0″ background_image=”https://ashbyandcoalvillescouts.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/canoes-jpg.jpg”][/et_pb_section][et_pb_section fb_built=”1″ _builder_version=”4.4.3″][et_pb_row _builder_version=”4.4.3″ column_structure=”1_3,1_3,1_3″][et_pb_column _builder_version=”4.4.3″ type=”1_3″][et_pb_image src=”https://ashbyandcoalvillescouts.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/image1.jpg” _builder_version=”4.4.3″ hover_enabled=”0″][/et_pb_image][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column _builder_version=”4.4.3″ type=”1_3″][et_pb_image src=”https://ashbyandcoalvillescouts.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/image2.jpg” _builder_version=”4.4.3″ hover_enabled=”0″][/et_pb_image][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column _builder_version=”4.4.3″ type=”1_3″][et_pb_image src=”https://ashbyandcoalvillescouts.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/image3.jpg” _builder_version=”4.4.3″ hover_enabled=”0″][/et_pb_image][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][et_pb_row _builder_version=”4.4.3″][et_pb_column _builder_version=”4.4.3″ type=”4_4″][et_pb_text _builder_version=”4.4.3″ hover_enabled=”0″]
Our District Badge
Ashby and Coalville Scout District is the largest Scouting District in Leicestershire. The District is located in the north-west of the county and stretches from Market Bosworth in the south, Measham to the west, Markfield to the east and Thringstone to the north.
The design of the badge comprises a vertical gold chain, superimposed over diagonally crossed pick and hayfork in black, passing through a black diamond centrepiece with horizontal railway track in black and surmounted with a gold crown, the whole over a field or background of green.
The components of the badge represent our District in the following ways:
- The Crown – Represents the District’s historical associations with King Richard III and the Battle of Bosworth Field, which took place near Market Bosworth. The District also has a connection with Henry III who gave the Manor and Castle of Ashby to the Zouch family. Later, Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned in the castle.
- The Pick – Represents the coal mining and quarrying industry in the District. The Hayfork – Represents the farming in the rural areas of the District.
- The Black Diamond – This is another name for coal, a natural resource found in many parts of the District and represents the coal mining industry, around which many communities of the District were founded.
- The Railway Track – Early railways were founded in the District to transport the coal from the mines and include the Swannington Incline, the Bluebell Line and the Shackerstone Line. At one time George Stephenson, the inventor of the steam whistle, lived in the District at the Altons.
- The Chain – The links of the chain represent the links between the Cub Scouts, Scouts, Venture Scouts, Leaders, Parents and the Community.
- The Background – Represent Charnwood Forest, once a forest, now rocky and mainly used for farming, and Willesley, out District Campsite near Ashby de la Zouch.
Information from an article dated January 1981.
The badge design was approved by HQ on 9th June 1980, issued in January 1981 and listed as a single bound variety bound in goal with a dark green background ( see top left ). There have been several issues of the badge since introduced all with minor variations, the third issue features a dull yellow crown on an emerald green background with yellow binding ( see top centre ) whilst the latest issue is the most significant change with a heavily woven dark green background, embroidered design with shiny yellow binding ( see top right).
[/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][et_pb_row _builder_version=”4.4.3″][et_pb_column _builder_version=”4.4.3″ type=”4_4″][et_pb_cta title=”Would you like to buy a badge?” button_text=”Get in touch” _builder_version=”4.4.3″ button_url=”/contact/” background_color=”#00a794″ custom_button=”on” button_text_color=”#ffffff” button_bg_color=”#7413dc” button_bg_enable_color=”on” button_border_color=”#7413dc” button_border_radius=”0px” button_icon=”%%114%%” button_icon_color=”#ffffff” hover_enabled=”0″ header_font=”Nunito Sans|800|||||||” body_font=”Nunito Sans||||||||”]
Our badge is available through the District Commissioner only. Please get in touch to buy yours.